Monday, November 11, 2013

Never eat at the Bishops house!

Baca Santo!!!! Has it really been 3 months!? Oh my, they weren´t lying, this whole mission thing really flies! I don´t know if that is a good thing or bad thing yet... But if it is going this fast with the language being so slow I can´t imagine what it will be like when I finally know the language! 
I received my packages from home!! The candy and food tasted soooo good!! Muchas Gracias.

This week we had interviews with President Bird. He knows when to be tough, but he really is the most laid-back mission president. He makes you feel totally comfortable and is very insightful with questions and concerns. We also had Capacitación de Valientes (training) on Friday which was way cool. All the Elders who were six weeks in got to go and have a training session with the President and his assistants. It was really helpful to see how some really experienced missionaries would teach or plan or handle a situation.

WARNING, WARNING: If you ever have comida (lunch) with the Bishop on a Saturday, call in sick. Or he will end up asking you to talk, in church, in Spanish. Man, it is a good thing my companion knows some English, I had a Spanish-English Dictionary, and that I had a PMG in English and Spanish!! But it ended up being great! I thought I would not like it but once I got up there and started it was awesome!! For the most, they understood me and they even laughed at my jokes. THEY ACTUALLY LAUGHED AT MY JOKES!!!!!! Some of the jokes in my farewell people didn´t even laugh at!! And no, the jokes weren´t even scripted, and no, I didn´t plant people in the audience either! So after they laughed and had smiles on their faces, everything just went so well! And the Spirit was definitely there! I think that when you are happy you are more easily inclined to feel the spirit because this gospel really is a gospel of happiness!!

Well, in other news, our investigators are going nowhere fast. Our district is baptizing people left and right and me and Élder Hernández can´t even get our investigators to church. And you have to go to church 5 times before baptism. I know that it is through no fault of me or Élder Hernández´s, but it is just hard when you are doing all you can and they just don´t seem to catch the importance of it! And I know we shouldn´t compare ourselves to other missionaries but it is just tough.
One of the biggest challenges is just finding people! People never seem to be home! Or they are home, you see them look at you through the window, and they don´t answer the door. It´s like ´´people; this is your SALVATION we are talking about!!! You think that we would give up two years of everything just to tell you of a story!?! NO! This is what you were sent to earth to find!!! So answer your freaking door!!!´´ But I really can´t say that, something about not scaring off potential investigators or something like that.

Que mas? The weather here is freaking bipolar! On Wednesday, we left the house and it was a pretty decent day. By the time we got done with comida (lunch), it was raining like crazy! On the walk back to the house we got completely drenched! But I will admit that I really liked it. I don´t know why but the rain really has a calming influence for me. Unfortunately, it is also the pitter-patter of rain on the window that tries to put me to sleep. And it doesn´t help when I can barely understand what people are saying in lessons and my mind wanders and I have to do everything possible to stay awake!! 

I really liked something my Dad sent to me this week. He said ´´not every contact has to lead to a discussion, treat every person as a potential investigator either for you or for a future missionary.´´ all of these people we are teaching, may or may not progress. But at least we are planting the seed. If it is us that harvests the seed, great. But if not, we just have to hope that it will grow within them and that our successors will be the ones to lead them into the waters of baptism. Everything that happens will happen in the Lord´s time. I was reading in the Liahona and something that struck me was a talk that likened getting the President of the United States to talk at a college to getting results from God. If a university of 30,000 well educated people can´t give a schedule for the most powerful leader in the world to follow, how can we expect, us equal to the dust of the earth, to give a schedule to the most powerful being in the universe? 

So my hope for you all and myself is that we can learn patience. That we can try and learn to see things as God wants them to be, because there really isn´t any other option, is there?
I hope you all have a stellar week, where ever you are! Stay strong and keep the faith!! Thanks for everything!!
Élder Morris


No comments:

Post a Comment